Skip Navigation Website Accessibility


In Saskatchewan, couples who want to marry must purchase a Saskatchewan marriage licence. A marriage licence is only valid for a period of three months, or 90 days. The marriage licence becomes effective the day after it is purchased. Therefore, the marriage licence can be purchased anywhere from one day to 90 days prior to the wedding ceremony. The fee to purchase a marriage licence is $60 and is available in Saskatoon at Bateman Jewellers.


Two pieces of government issued identification must be presented to the marriage licence issuer. Of the two pieces of government issued identification, one must be photo identification. Examples of acceptable identification include a birth certificate, passport, driver’s licence, citizenship or permanent resident card or treaty card.


The statutory declaration is a series of questions and information, located on the back of the marriage licence. When applying for the marriage licence, the prospective spouses must complete and sign the statutory declaration in the presence of the marriage licence issuer. The statutory declaration must be read to the parties to prove that they fully understand the content. This includes reading the "Degrees of Consanguinity" which may bar the solemnization of the marriage.


Degrees of consanguinity refer to the relationship between the prospective spouses. An individual may not marry his or her: Grandmother/Grandfather Father/Mother Son/Daughter Granddaughter/Grandson Brother/Sister The relationships above include all relationships, whether by whole or half blood, or adoption.


Yes. Same sex marriages are permitted in Saskatchewan.


Contact the province or country where you want to get married for information about their marriage laws.


The age of majority is 18 years in Saskatchewan. There are certain restrictions that apply to minors.

Persons 16 or 17 Years of Age

A Saskatchewan "Consent to Marriage of a Minor" form must be signed and completed by the parent(s) or guardian(s). They must sign the consent form in the presence of a Saskatchewan marriage licence issuer, clergy or any person authorized to take affidavits. Consent forms can be obtained from a Saskatchewan marriage licence issuer. If the parent(s) or guardian(s) refuse to consent to the marriage, the minor can apply to a judge of either the provincial or Queen's Bench court for an order dispensing with their consent. The minor may obtain the judge's order by applying to a court house in Saskatchewan.



If either of the prospective spouses is divorced, evidence of the termination of the marriage must be presented to the marriage licence issuer when purchasing the marriage licence. The following documents are acceptable as proof of the dissolution of marriage:

  • The original or a court certified copy of the "Decree Absolute" of Divorce; or
  • The original or court certified copy of the "Certificate of Divorce".

The preliminary document (Judgment, Order, or Decree Nisi) are not accepted as proof of divorce in Saskatchewan. The correct divorce documents can be obtained from the court in the province or state in which the marriage was dissolved. All divorce documents must be translated into English by an independent translator. The translator must include his or her name, complete address and telephone number.


If either of the prospective spouses was previously married and the former spouse is known to have died, no proof of death is required. The exact date and place of death of the former spouse must be known.